Monday 18 June 2012

De nails

My, my, my, this post's title looks almost normal, doesn't it? That's because you're missing the necessary audio accompaniment. This very short quotation is derived, again, from Shakespeare's Henry V. In the scene from which it comes, the French princess, Catherine, is attempting to learn some basic English terms in case of a British takeover. Naturally, she opts for the most useful of words: naming the hand, the fingers, the nails, etc. Obviously I'm kidding about the practicality of studying the names of only a few physical attributes during a major military attack, but I thought that the focus on purely aesthetic qualities wasn't a terrible fit for a blog often centred around clothing and makeup. The real humour of the scene I've described is in Catherine's rough pronunciation of the English words she's taught. . . hence "de nails" instead of "the nails" (in both the Olivier and Branagh film versions of the play, "nails" is also said more like "niles"). Likely not the most politically correct interpretation of the French, but the whole point of the play was to make them look foolish and portray the English as the deserving victors. You can also tell that I'm not trying to insult anyone by proxy since Catherine's English likely sounds equally poor as my Italian when I speak it to my professor in class. I'm sure anyone who has taken grade 9 French can relate.

Now that we've wandered a sufficient distance down the Shakespeare trail, let me get back to the real topic of this post. Nail polish. We love to put it on, we hate to take it off, we pretty much want to maim or seriously injure (phrase cred to Dobby the house elf) anyone who causes it to come to any harm. I've had a love-hate relationship with my nails. They're strong and they grow very fast, which many people of lesser strength, short nails, will no doubt be envious of. The issue for me is that this rapid growth (that sounds a bit gross, actually) makes it difficult to text, play the piano, or accomplish other tasks for which the use of the actual finger pad is required. My solution has always been to just cut my nails as short as I could (without inflicting pain), but I also like to paint them and once they're cut that short, it becomes quite a trial. Getting nail polish all over the ends of your fingers is not a very fun time. Plus, you then have to get the polish remover out to fix everything up and the whole process ends up taking twice as long as you'd planned!

In an attempt to sidestep my previous issues with the clipping/painting of my nails, I've been letting them stay long for a little while, and I'm actually enjoying the change. The only thing now is that I've realized I need new polish. It's not that mine is incredibly old or anything, but I find that I tend to go back to my three favourite colours (Sephora by OPI's "Special Request" and "Opening Night," and China Glaze's "Midnight Kiss") time and again, and I'd really like to try something different. Below are a few of the polishes I'm currently considering. Have you tried any of these? Are there any colours you've been loving that you'd like to recommend (especially if you know of a nice light pink)?
Essie's "Flawless"
Essie's "A Shine of the Times"
Essie's "Mademoiselle"
OPI's "Italian Love Affair"


OPI's "Gouda Gouda Two Shoes"

Julep's "Hayden"
Butter London's "Knackered"
-C

6 comments:

  1. Those are pretty colors! You might also try Color Club in "He Loves Me"...their formula is good and the price is fair. Here's a link to it: http://www.birchbox.com/shop/nails/color-club-classic-nail-polish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of that brand before, but you're right, it is a lovely pink!! Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  2. My favourite shade of polish right now is Essie`s Turquoise and Caicos - it`s a minty turquoise, the perfect shade for summer. I definitely recommend it :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh that sounds really nice! That would work well for me too because I recently had to get rid of a turquoise shade. Thanks for the recommendation Cee!

      Delete
  3. i haven't tried any of the above but my favorite polish i always go back to is essie, "fiji" and essie, "marshmallow"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Fiji" is so pretty!! I just looked it up :)

      Delete